Plan Ahead. What to do and when to do it.
Before anything else, preparation is the key to success." - Alexander Graham Bell
It's never too early to start planning for your retirement. As your retirement eligibility approaches here are things you can do to help you prepare.
3-5 years before retirement
- Attend an in person pre-retirement seminar or online webinar
- Download a copy of the KPERS Pre-Retirement Guide - KPERS | KP&F
- Find out when you are eligible to retire
- Consider making a service purchase if you have eligible service
- Calculate a benefit estimate in your KPERS account or request one from KPERS
- Review the benefit payment options:
KPERS | KPERS 2 | KPERS 3 | KP&F | Judges
- Review the retirement application & begin gathering necessary documents
- Consider meeting in-person with a KPERS retirement counselor
- At this time, it's good to review your life insurance needs, health insurance options, Social Security benefits, tax withholding requirements and additional retirement income sources
- Pick your retirement date
- Submit your retirement application, must be received at least 30 days before your retirement date