How do I get my money out of the Retirement System (withdraw)?

You can apply to withdraw your contributions plus interest 31 days after your last day on your employer’s payroll, if you have not returned to any covered employment with any participating employer. When you withdraw, you will give up all Retirement System rights, benefits and service credit.

To withdraw, complete an Application to Withdraw Contributions.

return to FAQs

How long will it take to get my money when I withdraw?

The withdrawal process usually takes about four weeks.

return to FAQs

Can I draw retirement benefits even if I quit a long time ago?

Yes, as long as you were vested and left your contributions with the Retirement System, you can receive retirement benefits when you become eligible to retire.

More information on when you can retire – KPERS 1, KPERS 2

return to FAQs

Can I withdraw part of my contributions while I am still working?

No. KPERS is a qualified 401(a) defined benefit pension plan under the Internal Revenue Code. This type of plan is not permitted to allow "in-service" distributions.

return to FAQs

Can I name my children as beneficiaries on the Retirement System's life insurance?

Yes, you can name your children or any other living person, your estate, a trust or any combination of these. You can name separate beneficiaries for your retirement benefits and your life insurance proceeds. You may name more than one person as primary or contingent beneficiary.

When you name a minor as primary beneficiary and the amount of the benefit is less than $10,000, the money is paid out under the Kansas Uniform Transfers to Minors Act. If the benefit is $10,000 or over, Kansas law requires a conservatorship be established to receive the benefit on the child's behalf.

You can add or change beneficiaries any time by completing a Designation of Beneficiary form (KPERS-7/99).

  • Download and print
  • E-mail a request
  • Call 1-888-275-5737, or 296-6166
  • Contact your designated agent

More information on naming a beneficiary

return to FAQs

How will divorce affect my Retirement System benefits?

If you divorce, any annuity, benefit or accumulated contributions from the Retirement System may be subject to claims by a former spouse.

Contributions are considered marital assets to the extent that they have accumulated during the marriage. A former spouse may not receive payment from the Retirement System under a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) until you:

  1. Withdraw
  2. Retire
  3. Die

More QDRO information

return to FAQs

Am I a KPERS 1 or 2 member?

KPERS has two benefit structures. The details of your benefits depend on whether you are a KPERS 1 or KPERS 2 member. See your human resources department if you have questions about your membership.

KPERS 1 members include:

  • Active members hired before July 1, 2009, who were:
    • Contributing members on July 1, 2009.
    • On military leave and return to work.
    • On leave of absence and return to work.
  • Active Board of Regents members who have KPERS service and had no break in service.
  • Employees who were in their "year of service" between July 1, 2008, and June 30, 2009, and were still employed on July 1, 2009.
  • Inactive, vested members.
  • Members who are inactive because they moved to a non-covered position with the same employer with no break in service (within three days).
  • Temporarily inactive non-vested members in one of the following grace periods:
    • Non-school, 30 days between employment
    • School, May 1 to September 30 to move between school employers.

KPERS 2 members include:

  • Those first employed in a covered position on or after July 1, 2009.
  • Members who left employment before vesting in KPERS 1, and return to employment on or after July 1, 2009. This does not include members in one of the grace periods above.
  • Former members who withdrew their account and begin a new membership on or after July 1, 2009.

return to FAQs

Why am I required to contribute to KPERS?

The Kansas Legislature created the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System in 1962 to build a financial retirement foundation for those spending their careers in Kansas public service.

Because the Retirement Act requires that the State of Kansas participate, membership in the System is mandatory for all state employees in covered positions. Any governmental entity or instrumentality whose employees are covered by Social Security may also affiliate for KPERS coverage. Approximately 1,480 employers have affiliated with the Retirement System in order to ensure their employees eventually enjoy a guaranteed lifetime retirement benefit.

return to FAQs

What is my balance?

Login to your account to see your total contributions as of December 31 of the past year. Check with your employer for the current year's amount. Some employers print year-to-date KPERS contributions on your pay notice. State of Kansas employees can review their current year contributions at the online Employee Self-Service Center.

return to FAQs

Can I borrow money from my KPERS account?

No. State law does not allow us to administer a loan program for our members.

return to FAQs

Can I put extra money in the Retirement System?

No, you cannot contribute “extra” money to the Retirement System. You can, however, purchase additional service credit for past public service and military service.

More information about purchasing service credit: KPERS, Correctional KPERS, KP&F or Judges

return to FAQs

How do I get a copy of my last annual statement?

Go to and click the KPERS Account Access button. Login to your personal account. First-time users need to enroll.

Find your member annual statement (MAS) at bottom of left menu.

return to FAQs

How much will it cost to buy service credit?

Purchase costs are based on either your current gross annual salary or your final average salary, whichever is higher. As a general rule, it is usually best to buy service early in your career.

KPERS and Correctional KPERS

KPERS 1:If you are under age 42, a year of service costs about 4 percent of your salary. After age 42, the actuarial cost increases significantly.

KPERS 2: If you are under age 35, a year of service costs about 6 percent of your salary. After age 35, the actuarial cost increases significantly.

KPERS Service Purchase Facts


Tier I/Tier II:If you are under age 37, a year of service costs about 7 percent of your salary. After age 37, the actuarial cost increases significantly.

KP&F Service Purchase Facts

If you are under age 45, a year of service costs about 6 percent of your salary.
After age 45, the actuarial cost increases significantly.

Judges Service Purchase Facts

return to FAQs

How do I buy service credit?

  1. Contact your designated agent or the Retirement System to see if your past service is eligible. Only active members can buy service credit.
  2. If your service is eligible, your designated agent or the Retirement System will tell you which form to complete.
  3. Complete the application to purchase service credit and give it to your designated agent.
  4. Your designated agent completes the rest of the form and sends it to the Retirement System.
  5. The Retirement System calculates the final cost and sends a letter to you through your designated agent.
  6. You sign the necessary paperwork, arrange for payment and return both to the Retirement System.
  7. The Retirement System receives the money or payroll deduction commitment.
  8. The Retirement System adds service credit to your record after the purchase is completed.

More information on buying service credit: KPERS, Correctional KPERS, KP&F or Judges

return to FAQs

What does it mean to be vested?

When you are "vested," it means you have earned enough service credit to guarantee a retirement benefit, even if you leave covered employment. Service credit from different systems can be combined.

  • KPERS 1 and KPERS 2 members vest with five years of service
  • KP&F Tier I members vest with 20 years of service
  • KP&F Tier II members vest with 15 years of service
  • Judges vest immediately

return to FAQs

When can I retire?

Your age and service credit determines when you can retire. The requirements vary between retirement plans. Please refer to your retirement plan.

return to FAQs

When will I have 85 points?

KPERS Tier I members earn a point for each year of age and each year of service credit. When these total 85, you have 85 points.

For example,
60 years old + 25 years of service = 85 points

Try our 85-point calculator

return to FAQs

Do I have to have 85 points to retire?

No, KPERS 1 members do not need to have 85 points to retire. The 85 point rule is only one of three ways you can qualify for retirement. You can also retire with reduced benefits at different ages before you’ve earned 85 points.

The 85 point rule applies only to KPERS 1 members.

return to FAQs

When are pre-retirement seminars?

KPERS and KP&F pre-retirement seminars are held each spring in many locations across the state. Watch this web site for specific date and location information.

More information about Pre-retirement seminars

return to FAQs

What do I do when I want to retire?

Complete an Application for Retirement at least 30 days before you want to retire.

  • Download and print
  • E-mail a request for one
  • Call the InfoLine, 1-888-275-5737, 296-6166
  • Contact your designated agent

More information on retiring

return to FAQs

How do I get a retirement benefit estimate?

You can calculate your own estimate online. It will be helpful to have your most recent annual statement for reference. You can also download the Benefit Estimate Request form, or get one from your designated agent, and we can do an estimate for you. The Retirement System provides up to two estimates per year if you are within five years of retirement.

return to FAQs

What exactly are my retirement benefits?

As a retiree, you are guaranteed a retirement benefit for the rest of your life and a lump-sum death benefit when you die. Please refer to Benefits at a Glance for your retirement plan.

return to FAQs

Will the Retirement System send something for my taxes?

The Retirement System mails retirees Internal Revenue Service 1099-R tax forms on January 31 of each year. Retirees use these forms when preparing their federal income tax returns.

More 1099-R information

return to FAQs

I am a retiree. Are my retirement benefits taxable?

In general, your retirement benefits are not subject to Kansas state income tax, but are subject to federal income tax. Check with your specific state if living somewhere other than Kansas.

return to FAQs

When will I get my first benefit payment?

Your monthly benefit payments will be deposited directly at your financial institution on the last working day of each month. You will receive your first payment at the end of the month after your retirement date. See dates

return to FAQs

Is my Retirement System money safe?

KPERS retiree benefits are safe and guaranteed by Kansas law. A retiree will receive his or her benefit for life, no matter the economic condition. Members who leave employment and withdraw their contributions before retirement will receive the full amount they have contributed, plus interest.

return to FAQs

What is a defined benefit plan?

The Retirement System is a 401(a) defined benefit pension plan. With a defined benefit plan, members’ benefits are guaranteed by law and depend on a formula, not on member contributions or market performance.

return to FAQs

Contact Us

  • Email:
  • Phone:
  • Fax: 785-296-6638
  • Office visit: Please call for an appointment
  • Mail: 611 S. Kansas Ave., Ste 100, Topeka, KS 66603-3869